Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wild Montana Skies

Last Wednesday Ben and I dropped work and all other worldly cares by the wayside and got in the car to drive to my family's cabin in Montana. It made for a fantastic vacation, but started out a bit rocky. We hit construction in Yellowstone Park so the drive that usually takes 8.5 hours took a long 11. However that's the great thing about being a newlywed- you just take things in stride and talk. It made a great opportunity to get to know each other better as we drove 35 mph and nearly hit a herd of buffalo, an elk, and a fox. Needless to say, we arrived safely at 2am.
Every year since I can remember my family has taken a week in the summer to travel to Cooke City, just a few minutes outside the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone. For both Ben and I, it was a new and memorable experience. Since we still haven't even known each other a year, it was Ben's first experience with my family at the cabin. It was new to have 15 kids running around each morning, but he took it in stride and loved it. We had a great time escaping from life and relaxing.
For me it was a sentimental experience since I have missed the last two Montana vacations due to my mission. What a sense of euphoria and excitement when we arrived and I smelled the trees, saw the mountains and heard... nothing. No cars, no ambulances, no train whistles, just the wind and the creek running below the cabin. That was a great feeling.
Some highlights of the vacation were:
  • Ben dressing up like a real cowboy with my mom's DI "finds". He finally found his Morgan roots.
  • Ben utilizing his film skills one afternoon to make a "Cowboys and Indians" movie with the kids. Good thing we're teaching the younger generation about political correctness :)
  • Canoeing, just Ben and I, on the Broadwater. Trying to go upstream proved too much for my weak muscles.
  • Horseback riding with the kids while we made fun of my brother Mark for getting knocked off his horse by a tree branch one year.
  • Having my father tell of the B4 ranch and the sacrifice my grandparents made to make sure their children had the gospel.
  • Going to the Top-of-the-World with Laura and Gordon and my dad. My dad is the world's best tour guide. The fire watch tower was also spectacular.
  • Showing Ben my favorite places to play as a child.
  • Church in the barn, only 2 hours long!
  • Shooting BB guns and sling shots off the back porch. The men having shooting contests.
  • The marshmallow gun war. Boys against girls never gets old.
  • My mom's delicious cooking and homemade desserts.
  • Ben filming the buffalo in the middle of the highway in Yellowstone. "I'm shooting, and driving, and shooting, and driving" etc.
  • Riding up Lulu Pass to see the old miner's cabins where my grandpa used to mine and live.
  • Late nights talking with my family with Ben asleep at my side. He's a lightweight at night :)
  • Enjoying being together. Ben got to know my family so much better and it made me so grateful to have such great people to be with.
Monday morning we packed up the car and drove home, so sad to have left a piece of heaven on earth. However, because my parents had the foresight to build such a great place to stay,
we remind ourselves, "There's always next year".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Athena! I loved reading about your trip. Your cabin is such an amazing place! I feel privileged to say I've been there!

    ReplyDelete