Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Greatest Vacation of 2012 (Part 2) - Naples, Florida

On Tuesday we took an early morning flight out of New Orleans, through Nashville, into Ft. Lauderdale. 

Nayeli was a champ on all the flights. Luckily, this time we had an empty seat next to us.

After renting a car, we drove an hour and a half across the peninsula of Florida to Naples. Surprisingly, we were welcomed by a torrential rain storm. Literally, water pouring from the sky. We were hoping for sunny, warm skies but I found myself drenched after running around Emily's townhouse to find her hide-a-key. Emily and Darren would have been there to greet us, but they were in Utah until the next day for Darren's sister's wedding. So we had an evening to show ourselves around.

We took a sunset cruise that takes you past all the million dollar homes in the area. It was amazing. I'm going to model my mansion in heaven after a few of the homes I saw (that is if I keep working to deserve it, of course).

 On the cruise. There was a Brazilian couple that were obsessed with Nayeli. They kept taking pictures of her, so I finally offered to let the woman hold her. She was so excited and ended up holding Nayeli for part of the cruise. It gave Ben and I some "us" time, so I didn't mind.

Cloudy Naples cruise, but we weren't complaining. It was beautiful.

The next day we drove to the Everglades. Luckily, we happened upon the greatest tourist attraction ever- Wooton's Tourist Center - and had a blast. We got to visit the mini-zoo and alligator farm, go on an air-boat ride, and drive through the swamp in a swamp buggy.

 My other favorite picture ever. Aren't they so cute together? 
I have this picture framed by my bed I love it so much.

Ben and Nayeli standing in front of 50 alligators. Nayeli is not taking her eyes from them.

Yes, they were the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Especially when they threw chicken to them and they jumped for the food. The video clip below will give you an idea of what it was like.



After the alligator show we got to hold baby alligators. Here is Ben holding the smaller one.

Me holding the small one... and super nervous.

Don't ask me why, but I have always wanted to hold an alligator. So after I finished with the mini one, they handed me the big one. Are you kidding me? He was practically my size! I had to shove my elbows into my ribs to sustain the weight. But then I got this sweet picture. 
Another item on my bucket list checked off.

 
Air-boat ride!

 
I plugged Nayeli's ears and she took a little nap. I guess she liked the hum of the motor. 

Crusin' through the Everglades.

After the ride. It was so much fun.

 
And last but not least they took us on an awesome tour of the swamp in this swamp buggy- a glorified tractor. We saw alligators down by the tires as well as racoons in the trees. 
I felt like it was such an adventure- the whole thing. So much fun.


That night Darren and Emily flew back into Florida. We ate Chinese take-out and chatted while watching the Presidential debates. I love Emily and Darren. They have always been so kind to me and this trip was no exception.

The next morning Emily got the kids off to school and then all the adults plus babies drove three hours to Key Largo. Ben and Darren were going to scuba dive together and Emily and I were going to hang out, but the scuba visibility was really bad so we all ended up hanging out together.

We had lunch at Sundowners, a fun restaurant right on the water in Key Largo. After, we fed the tarpon and seagulls. We threw the food high in the air and the fish and birds battled. 
It was great to watch.

 Ben with the tarpons

Then after lunch we decided to go scuba diving at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.

Darren and Emily at the entrance



The guys watched the babies while Emily and I snorkeled together. We had a lot of fun, except that our husbands made fun of us because we held hands as we swam over a deep, dark trench. It was deep and dark and scary! Of course I was going to hold Emily's hand!
I love my sister Emily.

Wearing daddy's hat in Key Largo

The next day (Friday) Emily and I went shopping while Darren and Ben went back down to Key Largo to go scuba diving. Naples is retirement area with a lot of wealthy people. Everywhere you looks there's a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, etc. Anyway, she took me to this upscale mall and we went to lunch. It was so fun to spend time together and everywhere we went people admired our babies. They asked if Nayeli and Gabe were twins. Speaking of the babies... that night they had bonding time.

They were the best of friends...

and worst of enemies :) But they had a great time together.

Our last full day in Naples we hit the beach... Barefoot Beach to be exact.

Ben tried out the paddleboard, although the waves were a little intense.




Yes, I let my child eat sand sometimes.


However Ben lets her eat seashells :)


We left the beach just before a huge rainstorm hit. And so, Florida welcomed us with rain and bid us farewell with rain. However we have no complaints. Florida was paradise and even if it is raining in paradise, it is still beautiful.

5 comments:

  1. That was so fun! I miss you!! I think my favorite thing was snorkeling over the deep, dark, trench while holding hands!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I went through my blog and I never blogged about your trip!! Can you burn all your pictures on a DVD and mail it to me?? I can't believe I didn't post anything about this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nayeli is way too cute! Especially that picture on Ben's shoulders. Emily is lucky to live in a climate where everyone wants to visit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nayeli, eat that sand! If it keeps my kids happy on the beach, I'll help them shovel it in there. That picture of Nayeli in the seat on the plane is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. I love the photos of your sweet little family. It's so fun. Loved seeing Emily! You DeBry girls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am officially declaring Neyali the cutest baby I know- every time I see a picture of her I want to pinch her cheeks and smother her with kisses! My favorite pic was the one where she couldn't stop staring at the crocodiles because I totally understand how she felt... ;)

    ReplyDelete