Thursday, May 23, 2013

A First...

Today I submitted an article to the Ensign. Have I planned this for ages? No. I just had to write a story for our ward Relief Society newsletter and thought, "Why don't I submit this to the Ensign while I'm at it? Why not?" Honestly, I don't care if it doesn't get published but if it does, wouldn't that be super cool?!

Just in case it doesn't get published I'm going to publish it here on the blog. That's sort of like publishing, isn't it? Either way, it's good enough for me.


One summer weekend my husband and I went camping in Southern Utah. While there, we planned a hike down into a large canyon to see some Anasazi ruins. We parked our car at the top, then descended into the canyon. As we hiked, I noted that there were no signs along the trail, but that it was marked only with cairns, or stacks of rocks along the way. I also noticed treacherous areas to the wayside. To avoid these areas, the trail wound far to the south, leading us down a steep and indirect route. By the time we reached the bottom, I realized that coming back up the canyon was not going to be an easy climb.

Once we reached the ruins we spent some time exploring, then packed up and prepared to ascend the canyon to our car. As we began to climb, the air was hot and my feet were sore. The climb became steeper, and I began to doubt our trail. We were moving south with the path, but it seemed like we were going too far south. I kept thinking, “This is way too hard. I bet if we go further north the hike will be easier and we’ll arrive at the car sooner.” However when I suggested this to my husband, who was leading, he pointed out that the original trail had gone south and we should continue to follow the cairns.   The path became even steeper and I continued to question whether we were going the right way.  However I followed the cairns with my husband and after what seemed like hours, the trail doubled back to the north and led us directly to the top. Sure enough, following the cairns and continuing on the indirect route had taken us straight to our car.
After reaching the top, I looked down on the canyon and thought of our climb up. Though I couldn’t see it while hiking, if we had gone to the north as I persistently suggested, we would have run into the treacherous areas that I noticed on the way down. In fact, even though the path to the north looked like an easier and more direct route to the top, it would have been impassible.
As I reflected on this experience, I thought about how life is often like our hike.  For each of us, the path back to our Heavenly Father can sometimes seem difficult and hard to find. The Savior taught, “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:14). However the alternative is only a longer and more difficult path. For example, at times it is hard to go to church weekly, love one another, study the scriptures and pray daily, forgive, admit we’re wrong and repent, etc. But each of these hard things, when accomplished, brings us closer to our Father in Heaven and our goal of eternal life.
Living the gospel requires effort. Both the prophets Amos and Nephi taught; “Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion.” (2 Nephi 28:24, see also Amos 6:1). However, nothing is truly difficult with our Savior’s help, which he is so willing to offer. He himself taught, “For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:30)
Another realization I had was that the indirect route we took is similar to the unanticipated surprises in life that may come in the form of a disappointment, loss or failure. However, if we are doing our best to keep the commandments, these road blocks are only detours to lead us to the top. Our Heavenly Father may take us on these detours to help us draw closer to him or even to avoid other treacherous or dangerous obstacles. He can see the big picture, as I did when we finally reached the top of the canyon.
And our Heavenly Father, in his great mercy, has left us cairns to guide us and let us know the right path. Our prophet and the apostles, the scriptures, and the commandments are all examples of trail markers he’s given us. If we follow them, we need not doubt that we’re going in the right direction. He’s set the trail; now it’s just up to us to exercise the faith and effort to follow it.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I hope they publish it. That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow awesome story and analogy! I've missed some of your posts! Love catching up. I could totally see this in the ensign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow awesome story and analogy! I've missed some of your posts! Love catching up. I could totally see this in the ensign!

    ReplyDelete